https://salarnews.in/public/uploads/images/advertisment/1734528783_header_adds.gif

Protests intensify in Türkiye with calls for one-day shopping boycott

The government has condemned the boycott, calling it sabotage, while the opposition is supporting it.

https://salarnews.in/public/uploads/images/newsimages/maannewsimage02042025_205507_Banners.png
  • Istanbul Mayor Ekrem İmamoğlu

Istanbul, 2 April

 

Protests which flared up in Turkiye after the arrest of Istanbul's opposition mayor have taken a new turn on 2 April when government opponents called for a one-day shopping boycott. The boycott, initiated by student groups, called on consumers stop engaging in commercial activities for the day as well as for businesses to remain closed.

 

The massive anti-government protests began last month after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan jailed his main rival Ekrem Imamoglu. Ozgur Ozel, the leader of İmamoğlu's Republican People's Party, or CHP, said on social media, "I wholeheartedly support the consumer boycott launched by young people against the oppression of students, mothers, fathers and siblings. I invite everyone to join this boycott and use their power that comes from consumption."

 

The immediate impact of the nationwide boycott was unclear, but it sparked a quick response from the government. Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya called it "sabotage" and "an attempted coup against our economy," while Trade Minister Omer Bolat said companies suffering financial losses would be able to file compensation claims against those calling for the boycott.

 

Bolat posted photos of himself shopping on social media, along with commenting that it was "the day of protecting the national economy." The head of Turkiye's broadcasting authority announced possible action against news channels promoting the boycott. Last week, the authority issued a 10-day airwave ban for one opposition channel, as well as imposing fines and program suspensions on others.

 

Imamoglu, posting on social media from the prison where he has been held since March 23, said European politicians had begun cutting ties with Turkiye. He said EU enlargement commissioner Marta Kos and jurist Dario Nardella had canceled their appearances at the upcoming Antalya Diplomacy Forum to be held in Turkiye.

 

The mayor faces corruption and terrorism charges, which observers say are politically motivated. The government insists the judiciary is independent and without political interference. While in prison he was confirmed as the CHP's presidential candidate in an election currently scheduled for 2028, but that election is likely to be held earlier.

 

According to the independent ANKA news agency, about 2,000 people have been detained since Imamoglu's first arrest on 19 March, with 316 of them jailed awaiting trial. Most face charges related to participating in the protests.

 

The general boycott came after Ozcel called on people to stay away from companies he said supported the government, especially media firms that did not broadcast images of the protests, which saw hundreds of thousands of people take to the streets to demand Imamoglu's release and an end to democratic decadence. Istanbul's chief prosecutor's office on Tuesday launched a criminal investigation into the opposition's boycott call.

 

Rifat Hisarcıklioğlu, president of the Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkiye, said targeting the companies was "wrong," adding that "they should be kept away from political discussions." Meanwhile, the head of an events company that sparked the anger of protesters by calling them "traitors" announced he was cancelling concerts by British artists Robbie Williams and Muse, as well as Norwegian singer Ane Brun, which were scheduled to take place later this year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Other Stories

https://salarnews.in/public/uploads/images/advertisment/1734528783_sidebar_Yello.png